- We encourage you to read with your children at home at least 5 times a week to foster a love of reading within your child. Once your child has learnt the first set of phonics sounds we will send home reading books for children to read at home. Until then we encourage reading of story books for pleasure.
- Once your child is allocated a reading book, they will be collected in at school on a Wednesday and new reading books will be given out to children on a Thursday. This allows children to read 5 out of 7 days a week at home.
- Please remember to write in your child's reading journal every time they have read at home.
- Children will have the opportunity to visit the library every Wednesday. If you would like your child to have a new library book please ensure their old book is returned weekly.
What is the Red Ted reward scheme?
The Red Ted reward system has been designed to encourage children to read at home and is centered around a teddy called RED TED, because we want children to Read Every Day and Talk Every Day.
How does it work?
The scheme is very simple. All children have to do is read their school reading book at home and have their Reading Record Book signed by an adult. We recognise the importance of all reading experiences, like bedtime stories, but for the purposes of our scheme we only reward when children read their school reading book. The Reading Record book will be checked, and the child will be moved up the class reading race display so that we can keep track of when children are due rewards.
- Squirrel Class have a PE lesson every Monday.
- This half term we will be building your children's confidence in independently changing into their PE kits and uniform.
- PE will take place inside and outside in the autumn term.
- Please ensure all your child's PE kit is labelled.
- PE kits will be sent home with children on the last week of each half term.
- Although children are not given formal homework in Reception, we encourage children to access the Reading Eggs app at home.
- Children will be given certificates regularly for their progress.
- Your child will attend a forest school style session once a fortnight.
- Please ensure your child has a splash suit and wellies in school.